[lug] Interesting sum "weakness"

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Sep 14 14:27:57 MDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:21:12PM -0700, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:
>>    5. My conclusions are: no reason for panic, but in future
>>       implementations better move away from MD5.
>
>Bottom line is that no one can, at present, based on public information,
>make MD5 generate a specific output.

I'd rephrase the bottom line as: There are known attacks against MD4 which
allowed creation of a modified document with the same signature, and
it's believed that MD5 is vulnerable to the same attack.  However, there
are no *KNOWN* attacks against MD5.

Sean
--
 Q:  What kind of dog goes "BOFH!  BOFH!"?
 A:  A rootweiler