[lug] load average constant at 2

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Thu Sep 14 16:00:23 MDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 02:38:17PM -0600, Jason Bowen wrote:
> For about 2 weeks now, at least that is when I noticed it first, my load
> average sits at 2.  This is with top reporting the idle processes at close
> to 100%.  When I reboot the machine the 5 and 15 minute load averages
> slowly creep towards 2.00 while the 1 minute average drops to 2.00
> after letting the machine idle after I login at the console.  Has anybody
> seen something like this before?

Ya know, I've wondered about the load average for quite some time, and have
finally found a decent description of it recently. The load average is nothing
but a listing of how many processes were in the 'run' state in the previous
time period. Now, while that is often a good indicator of actual load, it
doesn't mean much. For instance, doing this:

ps aux | grep ps

Every 60 seconds will result in your seeing a load average of 2. Don't worry
too muchb about load average, only actual CPU usage.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net