[lug] CVS usage comments

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Thu Sep 14 22:04:30 MDT 2000

I thought tonight's meeting was pretty informative.

I also thought maybe I'd throw in my $0.02 on CVS,
for anyone wanting to use it in the same manner I do.

My group uses it in a very distributed environment
(developers on two continents accessing a central
repository via the Internet).

We use plain-vanilla command-line CVS via SSH.  Setting
that up was painless, requiring only a few ENV variables:

setenv CVSROOT ":ext:repositoryhost.yourcompany.com:/opt/CVSROOT"
setenv CVS_RSH "/opt/bin/ssh"

If you have SSH's RSA authentication working, CVS operations
are seamless.  If you're using regular password access, you
get the usual password prompt each time you contact the server
for an operation.

There was some question in the meeting as to whether CVS kept
some record that included bogusly obscured password data.  For
my setup, I can find nothing like that, and I just went through
the whole tree.

Walter