[lug] [O/T]Web Server Fault Tolerance Devices

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Sep 15 19:42:35 MDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 04:45:38PM -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>Does anyone know who manufactures "director" devices. That is devices that
>take http requests for a specific address and routes them to multiple
>possible web servers? I am really interested in a hardware level device
>rather than a clustering approach. Any leads would be appreciated....

What do you mean "rather than a clustering approach"?  If you have a
group of web servers to direct requests to, that's kind of a cluster,
eh?

I've had good luck with using a Linux machine running ipmasqadmin,
the UltraMonkey stuff at ultramonkey.sourceforge.net, or if you can
get away with it, round-robbin DNS (my favorite).

Sean
--
 It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                 -- Mark Twain