[lug] Debian installation

Aaron Hayden hayden at flatirons.org
Sat Sep 16 11:33:19 MDT 2000

Hi Bluggers-
	I have an Athlon Thunderbird 800MHz machine running on an Asus A7v
motherboard.  Something neat about the A7v is that it has an embedded
Promise ATA/100 controller as well the controller standard for the chipset
of the motherboard.  The BIOS recognizes the controller as a "Mass
storage/SCSI card."
	Installation programs fail to see my ATA/100 drive when it's on the Promise
controller, so I intalled Win 2000 on another drive and used Partiton Magic
to copy the installed partition over.  I had to do this because Promise uses
proprietary LBA; I couldn't just move the drive to the fast controller after
the installation.  More in-depth information at (www.saisho.net/index.html)
	Here's the problem:  I want to dual boot Debian 2.1.  The installation
should be simple enough, but how do I boot into Linux if I'm going to be
moving the partitions around?  LILO gets boot information from the BIOS
(which sees a mass storage/SCSI card), and I don't know what to expect from
that situation.  It might be easier to create a boot disk during the
installation, but after I move the Debian partitions past 10Gig or so (on a
40Gig drive), will the boot disk still work? (I don't expect it to, but I'd
also have no way to change it)  Either way, Debian will go on the machine,
I'd just rather have it on an ATA/100 drive than an ATA/66.
	Respond with any experience/tips/alternatives pour favor.  If this bores
the list, email personally.
  _____

Aaron Hayden
Aaron.Hayden at Colorado.edu