[lug] IP reverse and how it get's here. (fwd)

John Starkey jstarkey at ajstarkey.com
Sat Sep 16 17:20:02 MDT 2000

This, I think, is a dumb question based on what little I do know. But
since I don't know the direct answer.

I bought/leased a block of 8 IP at s from USWest, the day they config'd me
for DSL. Four days later they tell me I'm too far out. I bought them
knowing that DSL was working and all I had to do was spend a few hours on
hold and then troubleshoot my LAN config with a tech.

I registered (or whatever you call it) the IP at s with ARIN. So I know I'm
gonna have to keep them. Anyone know of a way I can put them to use with
my @home connection?? I'm not sure how an ISP actually equates the IP@ to
the actual machine. If I set up eth0 as xx.xx.xx.xx does the router or
switch or whatever record my MAC address and forward the packets to that??
Is that what switches do (send it down the correct wire). So I have to
physically be connected to USWest to use them??

Thanks,

John