[lug] sendmail configs

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Sep 18 12:28:34 MDT 2000

I'm running KRUD on two boxes and just noticed that I had two different
versions of the sendmail.cf file on the two.  My main box, from which I
normally handle my personal email (such as this message), is using a V7
sendmail.cf.  I just copied that in from my archives when I upgraded from
RH5.2.  Another box is running with the stock V8 sendmail.cf.

A problem arose when I tried to send email to a site from the V8 box.  That
site bounced it (as an unresolved domain) because the initial "From" header
included the host name along with the domain (Masquerading is set so all
mail is supposed to look like it comes from my graphics-muse.org server
over at tummy.com).  The V7 box doesn't include the hostname in that first
"From" header.

I'd like to stay current with the sendmail config files (no, I don't want
to switch to another mail transfer agent).  Does anyone know what
configuration option needs to be set to prevent using the hostname in any
of the headers using the V8 configuration file format?  Normally, all I
change in the config file is the Masquerading (DM) and the smart relay host
(DS) entries.  Apparently, I now need to change something else.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com