[lug] Perl question (off os)

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Tue Sep 19 08:29:25 MDT 2000

Aha.  Thanks for the clarification.  From the warnings, I thought it was
being treated as a built in variable, which I was unable to find.

The error is gone on most versions of Perl, but it appears that 5.6 as built
on HPUX 11 still has it.  Perhaps it is the way it was built though.

Thanks again.

Chip

-----Original Message-----
From: Tkil [mailto:tkil at scrye.com]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 7:25 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] Perl question (off os)

man perlop.  it's really simple:

m// is an operator.
s/// is one too.
y/// is the same as tr///
q// quotes.

and so on.  perl will only warn about things that are built-ins, so
things like "c" won't complain about being auto-quoted (which is one
way to describe the LHS of =>, or the alpha+alphanumeric conents of a
hash index value.)

i thought this warning went away after 5.00404 or so.  is 5.6 still
warning?  my copy of 5.005_03 isn't warning on that.

t.