[lug] How do you start telnet and ftp services?

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Tue Sep 19 08:43:16 MDT 2000

locate is really the command of choice.  It uses a database that is
generally built nightly and in some instances may be out of date if you were
doing a bunch of deleting or installing.  I'm not sure if it's on all linux
distributions, and is not on all unix installations for sure unfortunately.

I can't say much as to the efficiency of either of the find commands.  I'd
chalk it up to two of at least three ways to find a file.

On linux and unix, the process doesn't finish before sending the output to
the pipe.  That's what windows does AFAIK.

Chip
-----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Brown [mailto:hugh at math.byu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 7:57 AM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] How do you start telnet and ftp services?

I missed the first part of this thread, but on linux why not use `locate
ftpd` or just look to see what inetd is starting by looking in
/etc/inetd.conf

I'd be interested in knowing the difference between the find method and
the find/grep method.  With a pipe, does the find finish before sending
output to grep or does it output to the pipe the whole time?

Hugh