[lug] oldLOGIN missing. Unable to login to box!!!

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Tue Sep 19 11:54:10 MDT 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, D. Stimits wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> > Alex Horan wrote:
> > > When I try to login into my Linux box, via telnet or the console, I
> > > receive the following error message 'dev/sdc0/.infs01/oldLOGIN missing'
> > > and it will not let me login. I can ftp to the server and also use
> > > Webmin but cannot gain console/telnet access. I am trying to find the
> > > equivalent file on another box but can't find one.

I would try to touch that file on another machine. Use ftp to put the file
in place in /.infs01 and see what happens. Sometimes certain processess
are looking for a timestamped file. See if this gets you around your issue.
I would say this is particulaly possible given the fact that ftp and webmin
allows access to the box.

Bill Jorgensen

  "It's not the size of the dog in
   the fight, its the size of the