[lug] a few questions

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Tue Sep 19 13:17:38 MDT 2000

Just to add my 0.02, if you go to CompUSA, look at the Linksys hub kit.  I
got a 5 port hub, two or three cables, and 2 or 3 NICs for less than or
nearly equal to the price of the very same hub and the equivalent number of
cables.  The NICs apparently use the modern Tulip driver, but I haven't
tried that yet.

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Stimits [mailto:stimits at idcomm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 1:04 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] a few questions

Howard Smith wrote:

> I am new to Linux, so forgive me if I seem slow. I want to learn it in
> order to set up a network at home. I only have five computers and three
> printers to put on the network. I plan to use a Celeron 455 to use as a
> router to connect into my cable modem. What kind of hub(s) do I need?
> How much RAM/memory do I need ? What is the better router software ? How
> do I select a firewall ? And are there any good FAQ's or sites out there
> so I can find out more ? I hope I'm not out of line asking really basic
> questions.
>
>                                                     thanks, Howie Smith

One thing that might change answer is what you intend to do with the
network. Printing is one obvious thing. Several people have mentioned a
software package for printing that simplified their lives...I don't
recall which that is, no doubt someone will remember and mention it. In
terms of hub, I'd recommend a switch instead of a hub. A switch is
similar, but it only sends packets to the address needing it, not to all
ports (this can chew up bandwidth). I love the switch I got at CompUSA
(I know, they normally sell at too high of a price, this one was ok),
the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Dual-Speed 8-Port Workgroup Switch, model
EZXS88W. You just plug your RJ45 cables into it and go, no setup. But it
doesn't have the coaxial style connectors, if you need those. The cost
of 100 MB/sec cards really isn't too bad for generic ones, only a few
bucks more than a 10 MB/sec, and you get a lot better performance. With
this switch, you could mix and match 10's with 100's, provided they use
the modular telephone style RJ-45 connector. Assuming you get this style
of connector, be careful about picking up a cable that is guaranteed for
the higher speeds. If you go to CompUSA, where prices are generally high
(the switch wasn't too bad though relative to web-based sales), you can
ask which cables are designed for the higher speeds, they can point it
out. If you want a better price, you can look at brands and markings
there, then go to the web. I'll let other people answer the rest of the
questions, I'm don't have any strong opinions there (I got my opinions
on hubs/switches and cables based on game latency and on remote X
display...while copying 20 to 200 megs of files across the net).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com