[lug] Apache bandwidth control?

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Tue Sep 19 13:56:21 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 01:28:06PM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:51:59PM -0600, Justin wrote:
> >Is there anyway to limit the amount of bandwidth each client connection can
> >use? For instance if a person connects to a site and wants to download a 5 meg
> >file, instead of getting 40-60k a sec or whatever the pipe is capable of they
> >are limited to a max of say 10k a sec? Is this possible? Thanks for any help
> >in advance.
>
> There is the "shaper", which will allow you to set up rate limits on specific
> routes.  This is a standard part of the kernel, and requires some user-space
> tools to configure.  It seems to work well enough.  It will work on a site-wide
> basis, not a user basis though.
>
> I seem to recall an apache module for doing some sort of bandwidth limitation,
> try looking on apache.org and/or freshmeat.

Even though I had no luck with them over 2 years ago, that doesn't mean much.
I tried the kernel shaper, and got frustrated. The apache module,
mod_throttle, worked well, but increased CPU load to unusable levels for my
employer. We dropped both of them shortly after that.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net