[lug] Re: LUG digest, Vol 1 #520 Re Message 1

Alex Horan a.horan at travelselect.com
Wed Sep 20 01:36:49 MDT 2000

----- Original Message -----

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:12:06 -0600
> From: "D. Stimits" <stimits at idcomm.com>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: Re: [lug] oldLOGIN missing. Unable to login to box!!!
>
> Bill Jorgensen wrote:

> > I would try to touch that file on another machine. Use ftp to put the
file
> > in place in /.infs01 and see what happens. Sometimes certain processess
> > are looking for a timestamped file. See if this gets you around your
issue.
> > I would say this is particulaly possible given the fact that ftp and
webmin
> > allows access to the box.
> >
> > Bill Jorgensen
> >

> I'd guess that he needs to be root to do that. And unless his ftp allows
> root in, he'll be out of luck. But the rescue disk will allow it if he
> mounts his sdc0 somewhere.

I can ftp and put a file in place but I have not been able to find the file
on another box. I can also change permissions on files using some remote
administration tools. Does anyone have a file they can e-mail me (even one
with a different name but the same function that I can edit??)
alexhoran at hotmail.com.

 Someone has suggested to me that the box has been hacked as a sdc partition
should start at 1 not 0 - unfortunately I am to new to Linux to be 100% sure
about that. If this is the case can anyone suggest how I can regain console
access to the machine and start to restore it to its original state?