[lug] Important backup lesson

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Wed Sep 20 08:08:49 MDT 2000

Sort of stretching the topic a bit but...

To anyone looking for enterprise backup in a mixed environment, I would
highly suggest taking a look at HP's Omniback. We have used it for
several years here and it is great. We backup HP-UX, Linux and NT with
it. One thing that I love is it handles protection in the software. If
you tell it to protect a tape for 6 months, it won't let you write to
that tape again until it "expires". Yes, you can write over it with tar
or cpio but not with Omniback (so just keep the operators away from unix
commands as much as possible).

The thing that sucks about it right now is that it doesn't have a "media
agent" for Linux yet. It can read the data off the disk but must back it
up to a non-Linux tape drive. That isn't a problem for us but would be
for an all Linux shop. HP says the media agent is being written as we
speak.
--

----
Kyle Moore