[lug] Command line ssh

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 21 00:24:16 MDT 2000

Hi Glenn,

SSH can either be used to bring a remote terminal session to you or to
remotely start an application, and it looks like you may have mixed up
the documentation for the two.

What I think you really want is :

ssh -l username servername

That will get you a shell on the remote machine.  You may have to agree
a yes/no question regarding the key exchange necessary... type "yes".

To forward X sessions to your local machine (if it's been allowed by the
remote admin) you can use:

ssh -X -l username servername

(hopefully I got that right... neither of the machines here running
Linux have X on them at the moment where I'm at, and I'm in Windows on
the laptop at the moment, so I can't test that... it should be close
though!)

Glenn Murray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use pine on a remote server via OpenSSH.  The ssh
> man page isn't helping me.
>
> glenn/$ ssh -X <user>@<server> pine
> Can't access terminal or input is not a terminal. Redirection of
> standard input is not allowed. For example "pine < file" doesn't work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Glenn

| Nate Duehr - nate at natetech.com    | Support Amateur Radio & Linux! |
| Private Pilot, Telephony Engineer |  Ham Callsign: N0NTZ           |
| UNIX Hack, Perl Hack, Tech-Freak  |  Grid Square: DM79             |