[lug] Oh crap, he's got another idea...

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Thu Sep 21 11:28:20 MDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 11:10:37AM -0600, PC Drew wrote:
> There are a lot of projects out there that I personally think are
> really great projects (i.e. OpenBSD, PHP, Apache, Samba, etc) and
> would like to contribute to.  Unfortunately, being a college student,
> don't have a lot of disposable income.  What would everyone think
> about, once a month during our meetings, sending around a donation
> basket (yes, like in church) and using that money to either send to a
> project that we'd select each month or use it to buy hardware that
> they need/want.

Collecting money may not be the most effective way to help these
projects.

Large Linux Vendors, such as VA, Red Hat, Penguin.. all donate
equipment and connectivity to open source projects, taking care
of a lot of what would otherwise require cash to do.

What all of these projects need is the effort and talent of
skilled volunteers, in all areas. Even submitting a good
bug report, or writing a good test case is very useful.

Find a project you believe in, and spend the time and effort
to become a contributor. We all benefit.

Evelyn Mitchell
efm at tummy.com
--
http://www.tummy.com/ Consulting and Software for Linux and Unix
KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution - the Freshest Red Hat every month