[lug] default ttl

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Thu Sep 21 13:54:22 MDT 2000

> Add a line at the top of your zone file which reads:
>
> 	$TTL            3d

I added this and it produced the same error "no default ttl". Is the TTL
variable what named is looking for? Or do I need to call it later in the
file? I added it as is above the serial. My understanding is that "(" just
continues the entry on the next line. Should it be outside of/before the
parenthesis?

> It used to be the last field of the SOA record, but that's been changed.
>
> >five lines refresh, serial, retry, expire, and ttl. Is the ttl here what
> >it's referring to?? If so why won't it use it in any of my files. Default
>
> TTL is now something else, but I don't remember what offhand.

So the SOA is really just the serial, etc part of it?? I always thought
SOA was the whole zone file til I modified an entry at register.com that
considers SOA just the serial, retry, refresh, etc. part of it.

John