[lug] ldd output

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Sep 22 11:50:13 MDT 2000

John Starkey wrote:

> I'm chrooting logins.
>
> With regard to the bins what's the best way of going about making them
> available to new users. Is this something I really want to put into
> /etc/skel??

Probably make sure it is in the default path of whatever shells are
available. Sometimes this is best in the /etc/ login environment files
for shells, sometimes it is best in the /etc/skel/ login environment
files. If it is a path that will be used by many users, such as
/usr/local/bin/, I'd put it in the /etc/ ones. If it is a special
program path to a directory that is somewhat specialized, I'd put the
path in the /etc/skel/ files. You may wish to avoid /etc/ additions of
paths if you have special security needs, but anything that has special
needs probably shouldn't have a login ability anyway (at least not via
regular shells). For the particular file, and syntax, check man on bash,
csh, tcsh, ash, or whatever is present on your system.