[lug] Choice of NIC's and a Hub

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 25 07:26:01 MDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 11:43:39PM -0400, Howard Smith wrote:
>I am considering buying a Net gear FE 108 hub and Netgear FA 310TX
>cards.
>Any coments from the voices of experience out there? This is for a home
>network of 5 machines and 3 printers.

Linksys makes a fairly nice switch called the EZXS88, 8-port 10/100.
We run the rack-mount version in places where we don't need a manged
switch.  I like that it has 8 blinkin-lights per port, including
TX, RX, link, collision, speed and FD.  Rack-mount is under $150, and
they have a "desktop" version for under $100 (which I haven't used).
It doesn't look like this one (the EZXS88W) has quite as many LEDs though.

Sean
--
 This mountain is PURE SNOW!  Do you know what the street value of this
 mountain is!?!                -- Better Off Dead