[lug] Laptops again

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon Sep 25 23:34:33 MDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Nate Duehr was reputed to have said:

> I've been specifically avoiding multi-function cards since having a
> problem getting a Xircom to work years ago.  It sounds like things have
> gotten better in that regard.  Which Xircom do you use that works?
>
> John Karns wrote:
>
> > I've also had good luck with Xircom - have been using an ether / modem
> > card for about 4 years that keeps on ticking.  I recently bought the
> > 10/100 ether version and I've hod no problems with that either.

Sorry about the delayed response.  I've been using the older Xircom CEM33
(10BT, 33kbps) ether/modem and the newer CEM56 (10/100 BT, 56kbps).  As I
mentioned in my previous msg, there seem to be rogue cards of various
mfgr's which deviate from the pack and have problems.  If possible, it's
prolly best to try out the card B4 buying.  Of course, this presents a
problem with mail ordered cards!

John Karns                                              jkarns at csd.net
Systems Analyst/Integrator
Bogota, Colombia                                  Voice: 57-1-341-0300