[lug] journaling fs

Alan Robertson alanr at suse.com
Tue Sep 26 14:04:49 MDT 2000

Warren Sanders wrote:

> > Anybody here using a journaling fs regularly? Any impressions you
> > might have on it? How about the migration to using it? Are you
> > using it on the / partition?
> >
> > LP
> >

> I first saw a demo on this and was impressed.  My latest Mandrake install I used ReiserFS on the / partition.  Only saw it in action once
> though.  Did not have open files, so only took advantage of the quicker boot.  Although I only was using it on / so the other mounts had to
> force check.
>
> The latest Linux-Mag has a letter from Tim Riker of Caldera, he talks a little about GFS (http://www.globalfilesystem.org)  He encourages
> to take a look into this as it was ovelooked in the August 2000 article "Journaling Filesystems".

GFS looks like it'll be good.  I've had good luck with ReiserFS so far.  It
has shipped with SuSE Linux for quite a while.  I've been using it on
several test servers for a while, and just reinstalled my laptop with it on
SuSE Linux 7.0 (now out).  For a complete list of Journalling filesystems,
visit the High-Availability Linux web site:

	http://linux.ha.org/

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at suse.com