[lug] journaling fs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 26 14:39:51 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 06:56:09AM -0600, llornkcor wrote:
>Anybody here using a journaling fs regularly? Any impressions you
>might have on it? How about the migration to using it? Are you
>using it on the / partition?

I've used various journaling filesystems over the years.  The problem I've
found is that the added complexity in the more fancy file-systems can make
it less stable.  For example, the Veritas file-system on HP-UX was pretty
nifty, but had tons of problems.  One of the features was that it could
order the directories for faster access.  Doing so had about a 1 in 10
chance of thrashing the file-system.

It seemed like it took HP years to get that stabalized.

That said, I'm using ReiserFS on my laptop, and i seems to work great.  I
have it on my second partition, mostly to increase reboot speed if I have
a crash.  I did this around the same time that Tkil set up ReiserFS on his
machine for the new 60GB drive he got, and will do the same later this
week when my 80GB drive arrives.  I imagine that 60GB full of files
must take close to an hour to fsck with ext2...

Sean
--
 A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy.
                -- Joseph Campbell