[lug] journaling fs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 26 20:54:59 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 08:23:19PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
>I'm not sure if the btree stuff is in ext3.  Stephen created ext3 as a
>separate type so he could run both types on his machines and not destroy
>them all (like root for example) when he was first starting.

I seem to remember there was some discussion required on that.  When Ted and
Stephen presented on it back at the 96 Linux Expo (I believe) they were still
calling it "ext2 journaling"...

The idea I was trying to get across though was that ext3 is based on the
existing stable code.

The bummer about ReiserFS is that thus far I don't know of a project to
extend-shrink it.  The new ext2 utilities have that ability and it
works quite nicely.  Though you do have to take the file-system off-line
to do that, unlike with Online Veritas.

Sean
--
 Rocky: "Do you know what an A-Bomb is?"
 Bullwinkle: "Of course.  ``A Bomb'' is what some people call our show."