[lug] Public Key Signings

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Wed Sep 27 15:31:38 MDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 12:55:27PM -0600, matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com wrote:
> Is this an exercise to learn how to use encrypted email?  If so, I'm
> interested.  What tool(s) do I need to generate the key, sign messages, etc?

Well, it wasn't intended to be, however I don't see why it can't be.

The first question that you have to answer is which platform you're on. If
you're on Windows, or the Mac, use PGP (at least version 6.5.8, or is 6.8.5?
Use the very latest). If you're on any variety of UNIX (including Linux), use
GPG.

PGP is at http://www.pgp.com (follow the links for the free download).
GPG is at http://www.gnupg.com

On Windows or the Mac, you should have Eudora installed (highly recommended,
anyway). On Linux, while many mailers CAN support GPG, I recommend mutt... My,
I'm already degenerating into a series of if then statements :)

How about this: I'll try and put something together tonight which has more and
better info than a short email.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net