[lug] generally compiling problems?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Sep 27 17:32:57 MDT 2000

Someone else already mentioned the sym link possibilities, but
apparently that isn't being the problem. One other possibility seems
reasonable here. The sources that are linked to in /usr/include/linux/
are part of the kernel source tree, and to some extent, parts of that
tree are modified by make menuconfig (or other config) of the kernel
compile. For example, modules compiled outside of the kernel, such as
emu10k1 from soundblaster live, will end up with unresolved symbols if
the current source is not also configured to match your existing system.
In your kernel source tree, does it still have the exact configuration
left from "make menuconfig" (or other config) to match your installed
kernel? Or does the kernel compiler configuration no longer match the
installed kernel? Some software depends on this, many others don't.