[lug] generally compiling problems?

bdoctor at MobileEngines.com bdoctor at MobileEngines.com
Wed Sep 27 18:17:11 MDT 2000

The quickest and easiest is to ensure that /usr/src/linux/asm points to the
proper architecture for your machine.  On intel, it should point to i386.
Also, there should be a .config file in /usr/src/linux - if it is not there,
either the tree has been cleaned, removing the asm link (and thereby breaking
every include file below it, platform-dependant) or no attempt has been made
to compile the kernel.

Anyway, in this case, you could do the following:

cd /usr/src/linux;
make config (press and hold the enter key until it is finished - we don't care)
make dep

That will setup the links for you.  Now, if *this* part fails, your kernel
source is likely incomplete, which is another issue entirely.  If that is the
case, get another kernel source tree installed, after you remove this one.

-brad