[lug] Data integrity problems on new machine

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Wed Sep 27 18:46:25 MDT 2000

Alan Robertson wrote:

> But disks that are dying almost always complain.  I think it's some kind of
> compatibility issue.

I have a 9G IBM SCSI drive in my Solaris box that clearly
has a bad spot on it that got through testing.  No real
complaints, it just silently gives I/O errors.  It happens.
The unit is brand-spanking-new.

I have another 18G SCSI drive that is waiting for me to
get an RMA for it that has a case temperature of well
over 100 deg F right after power up.  It too gives no
complaints.

Come to think of it, the bad drive I had last summer was
also an IBM.  I think I'm going to avoid IBM drives from
now on.

-- archer