[lug] journaling fs

Ian S. Nelson nelson_ at attglobal.net
Thu Sep 28 06:55:48 MDT 2000

Alan Robertson wrote:

> > Overall I'm quite pleased with ReiserFS and XFS too.  Both are very
> > sophisticated modern filesystems and I think both are suitable for day to day
> > use and maybe even production in a limited capacity.
>
> SuSE has used ReiserFS in production for many months now.

Is it the default yet?  Mandrake 7.x kind of hides it a little bit.  I guess
SourceForge has a 700+ GB Reiserfs based RAID also.  I did a fair amount of hard
time at IBM and now I'm doing embedded work and "in production" means the most
solid thing going to me.  I couldn't give Reiserfs to a bank yet but I put it on
my PCs...  (and as of yesterday we're planning on putting it in to an embedded
application for mass market.  so maybe "limited capacity" isn't so limited)

> > >         kernel NFS daemon doesn't work
> >
> > I think it does in the newer cuts.
>
> I assume you mean knfsd.  It works only in limited ways.  There are inherent
> limitations.  I work for SuSE who sponsored much of the work.  We like
> ReiserFS, but I am 99% sure  this is the case.

hmm.  I'll check my setup..  Now that I think about it, maybe I was wrong.   I was
using NFS for a good portion of the torture testing I put reiserfs and XFS through
though.  There are serious NFS issues that affect both and I think I may have
avoided the kernel daemon for that very reason.  I'll look in my notes.
FWIW, I have briefly toyed with coda exporting ReiserFS partitions and that seems
to work.

> > I have also made a Tom's disk that will work with ReiserFS.
>
> This is really cool!  Can you get Tom to buy this back?

I contemplated it but I killed off a fair number of things from Tom's that I
personally don't need and I assumed that went against the spirit.  (man pages, vi,
kernel module support)  I'll send him a note.  I can also post full instructions
if you want, it's really pretty easy.  Once you can build a Tom's disk it's just a
matter of massaging it until it all fits.

--
Ian S. Nelson                                           __o
Nelson_ at attglobal.net.NOSPAM                            \<,