[lug] Data integrity problems on new machine

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Sep 28 12:30:00 MDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 12:22:33PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
>on the IBM drive to keep my sanity.  That Seagate Barracuda is really loud.  Do
>HD's have to make any sound when they are reading data, or do the companies build

Well, hard drives *ARE* mechanical...  I personally think more highly of
hard drives that can do their job quietly (noise is wasted energy).  I'm
mostly thankful that the average drive of today is MUCH quieter than
the ones of a decade ago.  On the other hand, I used to be able to tell
exactly where in the 15-minute link cycle the system was just by the
drive noise...

Sean
--
 Use more honey!  Find out what she knows.
                 -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_