[lug] Noisy drives; was: Data integrity problems on new machine

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Sep 28 15:52:16 MDT 2000

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:31:13PM -0600, Walter Pienciak wrote:
> >on the market that was meant to deal with sound.  Anyone ever come
> >across something like this?  Since a fair amount of the noise is
>
> Anyone remember those old dot-matrix printer enclosures?  Big enough to put
> a baby in, yet they have a fan so the baby doesn't suffocate...  Sound
> insulated for teething.  Try getting some of those second-hand and putting
> the loudest equipment in there.
>
> Otherwise I'd recommend you switch to liquid cooled.  It's kind of interesting
> after having worked on midrange computers for a long time to go into the
> mainframe room of the data center.  It's quiet...  TOO quiet.

One problem here is that my enclosures have several case fans that are
noisy. So even if I got cpu liquid coolers, the case has too many fans
that have no liquid cooling options :(

I once considered building my own enclosure, but even that would require
good ventilation. With the modern video cards and motherboard chipsets,
good air circulation is mandatory even if the cpu is completely liquid
cooled. Makes me wonder if it is possible to create a teflon-coated,
laminar flow cylinder to muzzle my fans with, since the turbulence is
the largest noise from my systems.