[lug] timers

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Sep 28 21:32:12 MDT 2000

I'm interested in creating a timer for low-accuracy, roughly millisecond
resolutions (collecting statistics about some packet timings; the
spacing of send attempts is important). This is not for real time, and
is nowhere near that stressful, but on average they should be a
reasonable representation. The time() function is far too low
resolution, and the times() function displays in terms of clock ticks,
not seconds or fractions of it. I'm not sure about the portability of
times(), nor of how to calibrate it against a scale like milliseconds.
Does anyone here have any suggestions of a simple or useful means of
accomplishing this? Or of other man pages to look up, other than time()
or times()?

Thanks,
D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com