[lug] journaling fs

Alan Robertson alanr at suse.com
Thu Sep 28 21:50:46 MDT 2000

"Ian S. Nelson" wrote:

> Alan Robertson wrote:
>
> > > Overall I'm quite pleased with ReiserFS and XFS too.  Both are very
> > > sophisticated modern filesystems and I think both are suitable for day to day
> > > use and maybe even production in a limited capacity.
> >
> > SuSE has used ReiserFS in production for many months now.
>
> Is it the default yet?  Mandrake 7.x kind of hides it a little bit.  I guess
> SourceForge has a 700+ GB Reiserfs based RAID also.  I did a fair amount of hard
> time at IBM and now I'm doing embedded work and "in production" means the most
> solid thing going to me.  I couldn't give Reiserfs to a bank yet but I put it on
> my PCs...  (and as of yesterday we're planning on putting it in to an embedded
> application for mass market.  so maybe "limited capacity" isn't so limited)

It isn't the default yet, but it isn't at all hidden.  You can easily select
it from the standard graphical install screens.  I think you even have a
choice on a standard screen you normally see on 7.0.  Of course, we have
some of the ReiserFS team on staff at SuSE, so we're in reasonably good
shape when it comes to ReiserFS issues.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at suse.com