[lug] Backdoor Root

SoloCDM deedsmis at aculink.net
Fri Sep 29 21:53:34 MDT 2000

Prior to my server update, when I made a backdoor root access, I would
place a username at the end of the line for root after a comma in
/etc/group, then I made a user in /etc/passwd with 0 uid, 0 gid, and
/root as the account.  No matter where I was or what I did, I could
act as root with all the same privileges.  Now it won't work with
Mandrake 7.0.

The error for a user account is:

	su: incorrect password

when I use su - [super-user] or su [super-user].  Although, it does
work when I'm logged in as root and I invoke su - [super-user].  It
also shows the [super-user] name in the prompt.

Note: When you reply to this message, please include
      the mailing list and my email address.