[lug] ssh help needed

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Oct 2 14:14:24 MDT 2000

Thus spoke Michael J. Pedersen
> I've often found that the most informative answers come from using a couple=
>  of
> -v options on the command line. For instance:
>
> ssh -X -C -v -v -v marvin at heartofgold
>
> Will give lots of debugging output, and help you to find the exact issue.
> However, feel free to ask of me (or this list) what's happening. I would ask
> only that you grab that output from that command up to the point of it aski=
> ng
> for your key, so we can help out more easily.

Well, the debug output doesn't provide me much information, but perhaps
someone else can see something I'm missing (I removed the remote host name
and IP address from this):

mjhammel(tty2)$ ssh -X -C -v -v -v -l <userid> <remotehost>
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 3123 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to <remote_host> [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Allocated local port 682.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.1.1
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host '<remote_host>' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Trying RSA authentication with key 'mjhammel at brahe'
debug: Received RSA challenge from server.
Enter passphrase for RSA key 'mjhammel at brahe':

I don't see anything here that tells me something is going wrong.  Entering
a bad passphrase gets me this:

debug: Bad passphrase supplied for key file /home/mjhammel/.ssh/identity.

That's the right identity file.  On the remote host, $HOME/.ssh looks like
this:

drwxr-xr-x    2 mjhammel mjhammel     4096 Oct  2 12:12 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 mjhammel mjhammel     4096 Oct  2 11:44 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 mjhammel mjhammel      333 Oct  2 12:20 authorized_keys

On the local host, it looks like this:
-rw-------   1 mjhammel users         529 Oct  2 13:18 identity
-rw-r--r--   1 mjhammel users         333 Oct  2 13:18 identity.pub
-rw-r--r--   1 mjhammel mjhammel     2758 Oct  2 14:00 known_hosts

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com