[lug] Two DSL parallel - can of worms?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Oct 2 19:24:26 MDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 07:01:46PM -0600, Deva Samartha wrote:
>Would that not be a routing/NAT issue - a piece of software sitting in the
>firewall machine, having it's own ( virtual) IP  and measuring the load on

The problem is that you and you upstream have to agree on how to do that.
You could use something like OSPF, which can send packets round-robbin
fashion across multiple links with the same weight.  You could tweek a
VPN package to do the same sort of thing if you have the CPU power and
a box on the other end.

If you load-balance outgoing packets, it may give you 2x the outbound
bandwidth (assuming your ISP doesn't filter packets coming from a DSL
line which aren't in it's IP range), but probably not any additional
inbound bandwidth.

Unfortunately, it's not just as easy as plugging in a second Cisco
675 and doing a route command...

Sean
--
 "Ayn Rand books and guns...  You guys take World Domination seriously."
 "It's our job."  -- Conversation with Luke Jones about Rob Riggs place.