[lug] A bit confused

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Mon Oct 2 21:03:31 MDT 2000

Also, contrary to what others have suggested, I don't
think you will find any sbpcd card built that use PNP.
Everyone I have seen used jumpers. (Think *really* cheap.)

I am fairly certain that SoundBlaster never made a PNP
audio card with an sbpcd interface. By that time they'd
switched to the vastly superior IDE interface.

And I'd fall out of my chair if anyone could show me a
PCI card that contained an sbpcd interface.

The sbpcd interface is polled. There are never any
interrupt vectors used by these controllers. (Combo
cards like the SoundBlaster had IRQ settings, but
these were used only by the sound hardware.)

Howard Smith wrote:

> I am attempting to put Suse linux  on my old 486 (AST with an overdrive
> chip). The CD-ROM, an old one, a Matsushita/Panasonicis giving me
> problems.
>
> When I install the module from the floppy, it asks for a specific set of
> parameters. "sbpcd=0x230,1" is the example given.
>
>     Now the question, what are these specifically ? I tried the IO port
> and IRQ # in combinations to no luck. where can I find out what they
> are, just point me in the right direction and I can figure it out...
>
>                                                 thanks, howie smith
>
> Give a man a fish, and you feed him once. Teach a man to fish and pretty
> soon he'll start lying

Rob Riggs
http://www.pangalactic.org/