[lug] IPTABLES and RH7

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Oct 2 22:27:42 MDT 2000

>>>>> "Anders" == Anders Knudsen <andersk at uswest.net> writes:

Anders> I noticed while doing a RH7 upgrade this week, that iptables
Anders> is packaged with the new redhat release.  Q: should I start
Anders> using iptables instead of ipchains?? Is one better than the
Anders> other? I assume that iptables is a progressive improvement on
Anders> what ipchains offers.

you should only use iptable (netfilter) if you are running a 2.3.x or
2.4.x kernel with netfilter support. ;)

By default RH7 has a 2.2.16 kernel, so you should stick with ipchains
for now. You can optionally install a 2.4.0-test8 kernel rpm from the
second cd if you like. In that case you can use either ipchains or
iptables. ;)

Iptables is better, it has some really nice features, but ipchains
will do the job for most people just fine.

Anders> TIA, -Anders.

kevin