[lug] FTP server question

Brian Moore bmoore at digitalglobe.com
Tue Oct 3 10:18:51 MDT 2000

The problem is likely the FTP server attempting to check the ident
server (RFC931) on the remote side.  The ident protocol gets the
username associated with the socket attempting to make the
connection.

This is on by default in wu-ftpd.  If the host you're originating
the ftp connection from doesn't run an ident server, or if the protocol
is blocked by a firewall, the ftp server will wait for approximately
10 seconds before giving you a login prompt.

-Brian