[lug] using junkbuster with Netscape

matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Tue Oct 3 11:19:18 MDT 2000

I'm having trouble using junkbuster with Netscape.  I set the address of the
HTTP and security proxies to "localhost" and the ports to 8000.  After doing
that, if I try to get out to a web site, Netscape just sits there and says
"Contacting host: localhost:8000..." for several minutes before complaining
that there is no response from the server.

I'm using the ipchains script from
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/lx_example.html#H which is very supposedly
very restrictive and meant for a stand alone workstation.  Could that be
what's keeping Netscape from using the localhost:8000 proxy?  I also have my
/etc/hosts.allow set up to only allow 127.0.0.1 and /etc/hosts.deny set up
to deny ALL, however I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

I've verified that junkbuster is running (it was setup to automatically run
with the RH6.2 (KRUD) install) although I haven't verified which port it's
on (don't know how).  The junkbuster FAQ says to try to use telnet to
connect to the appropriate port to see if the Internet Junkbuster is
running.  Would this be done using "telnet localhost:8000"?