[lug] exim ?

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Tue Oct 3 07:19:55 MDT 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Jeremy J Hinegardner/Boulder/IBM wrote:

> >I am wondering what people's opinions are of exim?  It seems to be the
> >default MTA in the new release of Debian, and I don't know much about it.
> >Basically I'm trying to decide if it is worth my time to figure out how
> >configure exim or switch to something else.
> >
> >- Wayde
> >  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)
>
> I've been using exim for the past year or so.  For me it was very easy to
> setup and
> use.  Just run the eximconfig script and you're all setup.  Exim also
> comes with excellent
> documentation and the configuration files are pretty easy to understand.
> I've never really put
> it through much load, so I don't know how it performs in that respect.

It does look fairly straight foreward.  However, I wanted to use the
Mailman listserver with my setup.  This is evidently possible with exim
since there is a "how to use exim with mailman" link on their
website.  From perusing this documentation it looks like I'd need to add
something like 20 or 30 lines to the exim config file though.  If I'm
reading it correctly exim would then work seamlessly with mailman, and I'd
not need to create any list aliases.  However, I've heard quite a few good
comments about postfix.  So ... I fired up dselect, told it to install
postfix, and copied the five aliases I needed for my mailing list to
/etc/aliases and am up in running.

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)