[lug] exim ?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Oct 3 16:33:25 MDT 2000

Wayde,

I love it.  Been using it on all my Debian systems since Potato.

It's much easier to configure than Sendmail, IMHO... and there's MUCH
less chance of creating silly security issues -- especially when doing
header re-writing.

A friend who's a security guy for a living has moved all his machines to
it also, if that says anything.  His complaint is that Sendmail has
become too bloated and has lots more ways you can mess things up also.

There's a configuration script called 'eximconfig' that should get you
up and running in 90% of configurations.

If you need some help, just holler.  (Or if you want an /etc/exim.conf
mailed to you for comparison.)

I personally really like the built-in .forward file filtering
available... any user can create procmail-like filters right inside
their .forward file and have things delivered to different folders, etc.

I wish Debian would keep the main mailbox in the Mail dir by default and
deliver to the user's home dir, but oh well... it can be configured to
do that... they didn't want to break compatibility with a lot of
stuff...

Nate