[lug] Anyone with Red Hat v 7.0?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 3 17:20:00 MDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:02:32PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
>Also, what's everyone else think about them dropping the Sparc version
>of the distro?  I have a Sparc Ultra V with RH 6.2 on it that just lost

Where did you hear that RedHat is dropping support for Sparc?  If it was
Slashdot, you apparently didn't read down to the response from RedHat
that said "Uh, Sparc and Alpha releases ALWAYS lag behind ix86, it'll
be out soon"?

>So many people equate "RedHat" with Linux, it's disgraceful for them to
>release 7.0 the way it is.

At least it works.  6.0 wouldn't even install on a lot of hardware.
I'm glad that they seem to have gotten better.

I for one am not really torqued that they "broke" a lot of things.  xinetd
I'm looking forward to.  I understand that they probably released the new
GCC a bit early.  kgcc for kernel compiles?  Rather have that than a
compiler that's limited so it can build the kernel...

>works (unlike the lovely Python tracebacks given by RedHat installer on
>6.1 when it didn't like things).

IMHO, tracebacks are a hell of a lot nicer than just dieing without
reporting what went wrong.  It's one of the things I love about Python.
Having mucked around with custom redhat-based distributions and in the
installer itself, I can tell you that I really appreciate the tracebacks.

Sean
--
 668:     Next door neighbor of the beast.
 vivivi:  The editor of the beast.