[lug] Anyone with Red Hat v 7.0?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Oct 3 21:44:33 MDT 2000

>>>>> "stimits" == "D Stimits" <stimits at idcomm.com> writes:

stimits> I currently use egcs 2.91.66, which works on kernels and many
stimits> other things. What exactly is kgcc, and what might be broken
stimits> or helped by it?

kgcc is just:
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

so it's the same compiler you are using now.
Redhat 7 ships with gcc as:

gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)

In particular the C++ support is supposed to be MUCH more usable than
under egcs-2.91.66. However, it won't compile 2.2.x kernels correctly
so they kept the old compiler around to compile kernels. Note that I
at least have compiled 2.4.0-test8 and 2.4.0-test9 just fine with the
2.96 compiler, it's mainly 2.2.x kernels that break.

I installed RedHat 7 on my laptop last week. It's been just fine and
dandy for me. No problems on install, no running problems. Been good.
If anyone saw the /. story about "redhat 7 has 2500 bugs in it", you
should know that Cmdrtaco was smoking a big big bag of crack that
day. Redhat has 2500 bugs total in it's bugzilla database since
6.0. There were about 250 total against RH7, and about 125 of those
were already closed. ;)

stimits> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

kevin