[lug] What are rpc.statd and rpc.lockd?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Oct 5 13:33:05 MDT 2000

>>>>> "Scott" == "Scott A Herod" <herod at interact-tv.com> writes:

Scott> Hello, Sorry for a somewhat "newbie" question, but what are
Scott> rpc.statd and rpc.lockd used for?  I have a machine that uses
Scott> nfs to mount files but which does not export files.  Does it
Scott> need to run the two services started by nfslock on a RedHat 6.2
Scott> machine?

If you are just being a client to some other nfs server, you shouldn't
need those. rpc.lockd keeps track of when a nfs client locks a
file. rpc.statd keeps track of if the machine rebooted and needs to
unlock some files.

Scott>   (To my recent horror, I learned that there is a
Scott> buffer-overflow attack against some versions of rpc.statd that
Scott> allows one to excute commands as root.)

yep. Always a good idea to keep up on the errata, only run those
things you need to run, and firewall off the rest to only those places
that need to access it. ;)

Scott> Scott

kevin