[lug] restoring from tape drive

KELLEY SCOTT T kelleys at ucsu.colorado.edu
Fri Oct 6 15:03:12 MDT 2000

I am trying to restore some particular directories from a tape drive using
the tar command but it is taking forever. I know there is a lot of data on
the tape but it is still churning after 4 hours and I can't tell if
anything is happening at all. Is there some tar option that I can use to
tell me where it is at on the tape? The --list option will only list the
files inside the directory I want to download as far as I can tell.

Here is the command I used to try and get just the stuff from
"directory_name/"

tar --extract --verbose --file=/dev/rmt/0 /disk1/people/directory_name/

It worked for another directory earlier on the tape, but I'm new at this
backup stuff so I'm unsure...

THanks for any help you can send my way. -Scott

Scott T. Kelley, Ph.D.			E-mail: Scott.Kelley at Colorado.edu
Dept. MCD Biology			Phone : 303-735-1808
Campus Box 347				Fax   : 303-492-7744
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO  80309-0347
U.S.A.