[lug] RFI Debian vs. Slackware

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Oct 6 11:46:43 MDT 2000

And the best use of apt-get...?

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the new Debian distro (when
you're running the old one...)...

type...

apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

And you'll be upgraded in a few hours over a slow link, and a few
minutes over a fast one,  with nothing broken at all.

There's no way that I'm aware of to upgrade an in-place RH machine from
an FTP/NFS server like that while still leaving it semi-online in the
maintenance window.  The only thing I think that comes close requires
boot media and takes the machine completely down.

Nate