[lug] RFI Debian vs. Slackware

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Oct 7 04:01:12 MDT 2000

Make sure to see my other message about security.debian.org getting into
your /etc/apt/sources.list if you want to automate security updates, and
also one that used to get me for a while...

When you "remove" a package on Debian, it leaves behind its config files and
any data files created.  If you did "removes" you may want to go look around
in /etc and other places for any remnants of the software you had installed.

It won't hurt anything if they're there, but the first time you corrupt a
config file and then attempt to uninstall/reinstall a package to fix it
(thinking you'll get the config files rebuilt) this will drive you insane.
Properly built RPM's deal with this scenario also, so it shouldn't really be
a surprise, but just in case...

Use 'purge' instead of 'remove' if the appllication is going away
permanently.

It's _ in dselect, or apt-get remove --purge <packagename> ...

Enjoy!

Nate