[lug] Printer question

Deva Samartha YTAFTDJAHCWS at spammotel.com
Sun Oct 8 23:11:04 MDT 2000

Maybe this helps:

As far as I know, the HP network printer interface defaults to a certain IP.

I got a printer once up by hooking a PC with Windoze up and configuring the
PC's network IP address to the default printer network address. That way, I
was able to talk to the printer with Jetadmin (sp?) which is free
downloadable from the internet and could configure it from there with a
static IP.

By default I think the HP network interfaces usep bootp or DHCP but can be
addressed with static IP.

Bthw - HP supports(ed) a version of Jetadmin for Linux but _only_ for Red
Hat (at least when I used it 6 month ago) under a particular release but
this version (of Jetadmin for Linux) was so fussy that it would not work
under another flavor of Linux - SuSE in that case and I had to resort to
laptop-Windoze to get it up and running.

Samartha