[lug] KFM

Alan wilda at equity-oil.com
Mon Oct 9 08:29:44 MDT 2000

I am learning Linux via Mandrake 6.5.  I have installed the KDE desktop and
was reading about the file manager KFM.  I found it, started it
(/usr/bin/kfm) and used it for a few minutes.  I then stopped it and tried
to restart it later, only to get a message that says 'KFM is already
running'.  It was nowhere I could see on the desktop, even minimized.  I ran
ps -a and there it was with the other processes.  I issued a kill command
for the KFM process, whereupon all the icons on the desktop disappeared.
After rebooting everthing is back, but I still can't get the KFM window up
on the desktop because it is 'already running'.  So I have some questions:
-Why could I see it on the desktop the first time I started it, but never
again?
-How do I get it to start visibly so I can use it?
-Why did the icons all disappear when I killed the KFM process?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Alan