[lug] Is ssh alway slower?

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Mon Oct 9 08:59:45 MDT 2000

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Michael J. Pedersen wrote:

> MindTerm: Cool program. Glad to see it. Slower than a california driver in the
> snow. Unusable for me. Had to let it go.

This reminds of some questions I had regarding ssh.

1. Does ssh have much overhead (vs. telnet)?  What about scp?

2. What sort of things were you doing with MindTerm that you would notice
it being slow?  I've mostly used ssh for opening remote terminals, but
haven't noticed that MindTerm is slower than OpenSSH.

3. Is there a nifty gui for scp like gnome ftp (gftp) is for ftp?  Or
is there some way to get gftp to work through ssh?

Thanks,
Glenn